From June 3rd - June 6th, 2012, TRCNA partnered with Turkish and American organizations to host the first annual Turkey-Michigan Forum in Istanbul, Turkey.
Along with the Turkish Resource Center of North America (TRCNA), other hosts included:
Michigan State University, Broad College of Business International Business Center, Yeni Yuz Yil University and TGRT Haber were also significant sponsors of the event.
The purpose of the Forum, which focused on "University-Industry Collaboration and R&D Trends", was to connect participants with business and academic counterparts in Turkey while establishing long-term economic and academic partnerships between Turkey and North America.
The Forum was well attended by senior-level representatives from Michigan’s higher education, business, and economic sectors, as well as high-ranking Turkish officials. Forum topics included university and cultural exchanges, government and private sector partnerships, and research and development opportunities. Major Turkish press and media outlets followed the Forum’s daily activities.
Participants in the Forum were also lead on site visits to manufacturing facilities, R&D hubs and higher education institutions throughout Turkey. In addition, numerous presentations highlighting opportunities for collaboration were also given by speakers from both Turkey and the U.S. Forum presentations can be viewed and downloaded below:
TRCNA and its partners coordinated the signing of five agreements between American and Turkish interests during the Forum. These agreements can be viewed below:
- Business Cooperative MOU between Uladag Automotive Exporters' Association, the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), Lansing Economic Area Partnership (LEAP), the Prima Civitas Foundation (PCF) and the Turkish Resource Center of North America (TRCNA).
- Business Cooperative MOU between Turkish Exporters' Assembly, MEDC, PCF and the TRCNA.
- Business Cooperative MOU between the Istanbul Minerals and Metals Exporters' Association, MEDC, PCF an the TRCNA.
- Business Cooperative MOU between the Turkish American Businessmen Association, PCF, and the TRCNA.
- Business Cooperative MOU between the Association of Automotive Parts & Component Manufacturers (TAYSAD), Office of Mayor-City of Lansing, LEAP, MEDC, PCF and the TRCNA.
Turkish-American Garment and Textile Business Cooperation LOI between Istanbul Textile and Apparel Exporters' Association, MEDC, Michigan Garment Industry Council, PCF and the TRCNA.
Forum participants from Michigan, as the result of a formal invitation by Economy Minister, Zafer Caglayan, were treated to an evening event with the President of Turkey, Abdullah Gül. Participants also enjoyed a scenic boat tour along the Bosphorus sponsored by Yeni Yuz Yil University.
To view photos, please check out the Forum's Flickr collection.
For more information on Forum speakers and topics, please see the Forum agenda and program booklet.